Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Thursday 17 May 2007

Happy farmers and Happy Days.


The happy farmer’s social life is jam packed just now. Yesterday, a visit from one of the Jura boys calling for some eggs saw the happy farmer knock up an impromptu lunch of kippers, fresh from Loch Fyne, with crusty bread and mugs of hot tea.

In the evening the BT boys came over for a soiree. The happy farmer excelled in his culinary talents serving up Mexican fajitas all washed down with lashings of whisky and wine, by the end of the evening the caterwauling that was coming from the kitchen was something else, realising I only have two weeks left in my thirties, I did somewhat get caught up in the celebrations, complete with the air guitar for AC/DC, although quite what we were celebrating I am not sure. Needless to say a good time was had by all, but today I am feeling ever so slightly jaded, as I try and get my head around packing for a weekend of partying as my sister in law hits the big 40.

The happy farmer is off on a ‘boys’ lunch. He has met up with a crowd of friends who make the pilgrimage to Jura for a week’s fishing each year, partying across the island as they make their way over. I think the happy farmer is just having an early weekend of it, as this weekend he will be stepping into my shoes and looking after the children as I head off to the city. Luckily not my stilettos, they will be packed! As I race around leaving copious instructions and notes on everything from what kits the children will require at school tomorrow, to what sheets will be needed in the cottages for their changeovers, I wonder how they will all manage without me, and I will only be gone for three days. I will miss them all though, and do wish they were coming along too, but such is life, I will just have to party for all of us.

I was regaling my pig fiasco from last weekend to a friend this morning, and she beat me hands down. Next to her house there was a shed with a huge sow and a load of piglets in it. Somehow the sow and piglets got out into the yard and the gate onto the road was open. She asked one of the farm, workers to help, as she hadn’t a clue what to do. He said he didn’t ‘do’ pigs, but would go and get help, and sped off away on his quad bike, leaving her and a horde of squealing pigs racing around the yard. She got a bucket and began shaking it, the piglets came running, as she bent down to feed them the sow got behind her, and whacked her on the behind, tossing her into the air, she landed just as help arrived. ‘Help’ being a jeep load of men, who were all too scared to get out! She did eventually mange, with the help of one ever so brave gentleman, and two buckets to eventually round them up and get them back into the shed. I think she deserves an award for bravery. She of course thought it was hysterical that I was scared to go in with two little pigs to fill their trough with water, but I did, and I managed, perhaps I should get that bravery award too.

Happy farmer has just phoned to say the fishermen are on their way up here for a quick drink before their ferry, better dash.

So until next time….

14 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I am sorry I read it all honestly but can not tell you what happened after the kippers. I am stuck on the kippers and tea and bread, it brought back such childhood memories I can even smell them!!God I had forgotten how I loved kippers!!

Suffolkmum said...

Me too! Hope you have a fantastic trip. Your poor friend!

muddyboots said...

have a great trip, & l just LOVE kippers, whitby ones of course!

@themill said...

Craster kippers are smoked just two miles from here. The Farmer loves them (as do I) but I won't cook them because they make the house stink for days!

Bluestocking Mum said...

Oooo, I love kippers too. You have a good break Rosie.

warm wishes
xx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

have a good time. your farmer clearly has a good line in the necessary self preservation to lead his own demanding life and am so impressed that you do too. not sure I have made myself very clear there. have a lovely time and come back raring to go.

Cait O'Connor said...

Your life sounds great, all that partying, having fun and kippers! I love them too. Have a great three days away. (Thanks for your kind comments on my ramblings).
Caitx

Cait O'Connor said...

PS Does distance Reiki work for you?

snailbeachshepherdess said...

am wandering about doing a catch up - I could smell those kippers and I hope you have a great time

bodran... said...

Have a great trip with lots to tell us when you get back!x

Pondside said...

Hmmm- what are kippers? Is this some delicious thing that I need to find from a specialty store or is it some odd man-meal that I would find revolting? Is it fish?
Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time at the birthday! Don't worry about things at home - I'm sure you've taught them well and all will be in order on your return!

JacquiMcR said...

Oh what a fab, socialable life you lead. I absolutely love kippers and now you have given me a notion for them, I've put them on my shopping list for tomorrow.

Remember, age is only a state of mind and you are only as old as the man that you feel (hope I haven't offended you).

Take care - Jacqui x

Woozle1967 said...

I'm having a marathon run trying to catch up with everyone! Thought I'd gone on a cookery site - kippers and chicken fillets to you too!xx

Maggie Christie said...

Kippers, tea and bread? Yum! Pigs are totally mischievous - our old sow used to know exactly where to knock you behind the knees so you sat down on your bottom, preferably (in her case) in something cold,wet and smelly.