Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Wednesday 20 June 2007

Summer Parties







I have been wrapped up trying to paint a picture for someone. It is a gift for a friend, and as I am no artist, well not trained in anyway, and only discovered watercolours a couple of years ago, it has taken up a lot of time. A picture doesn’t always take that long to paint, but initially finding something that inspires you, in my case the Paps of Jura, which are an incredibly challenging subject, and so beautiful in all of their different lights and coats, that it can be a frustrating and rewarding process trying to capture them. Of course if the painting is for someone else, well, then there is the added problem of will they like it, I mean really like it, enough to look at it each day as it hangs on their wall? Anyway, four paintings later and I have the one I like. Of course the happy potter didn’t help when he arrived in this morning and liked them all, but particularly two of them, that totally confused me, am I making the right choice? Anyway enough meandering, that is why my blogs have not been getting posted over the last few days.

We have had an incredibly busy few days. On Monday evening we were due to go to a summer party at the big house, on the nearby estate. A group of gamekeepers, friends of the happy farmers, called in on their way past. They were heading for home after a day’s hard work. The happy farmer poured them all beers and they sat in the early evening sun having a crack. Eldest daughter arrived on the lawn with Hansel, her horse; before I knew it the ‘eldest’ gamekeeper, I have to say eldest as he is near retrial, had jumped on Hansel’s bare back and was cantering around the garden.
Hansel loved the attention, especially having a few spectators thrown in.

Gamekeepers often worked with horses when they used to take out parties stalking, before quad bikes and four by fours, and this gamekeeper was exceptional. Hansel had obviously never been ridden bare back, but after a few rounds he had him calm and enjoying the new experience. Eldest daughter spent the rest of the evening riding him bare back.

Of course by the time they all left we had about fifteen minutes to serve the kids’ tea and get ready, add in the fact that at the last minute the happy farmer decided to wear his kilt, then couldn’t find his socks, shoes and cuff links, just the usual. The shirt had to be ironed, as I took it back off him, and quickly got the iron out, it is like ironing a tent ironing that kilt shirt. How we did it I don’t know, but when our lift arrived we were ready…just.

The evening was spectacular; we were thoroughly spoilt by our lovely hosts, there was a huge billowing marquee, with a dance floor, and huge full length windows looking out across the sea to Jura and up to the Isle of Mull. Champagne was served before we sat down to the most delicious meal. Each table was intricately laden, with a beautiful arrangement of flowers in the centre. We danced the night away, as the sun set over one of the most beautiful settings in the world.

Until next time…

12 comments:

snailbeachshepherdess said...

What a lovely happy blog..and I'm sure the painting will be fine. Loved the bit about the bare back rodeo!

Sally Townsend said...

That really sounds like my sort of evening, you are in a part of the world I would love to visit. Adore men in kilts too !!

Blossomcottage said...

Great evening enjoyed hearing about it and I like the painting you certainly do have a talent, they are the most unforgiving medium watercolours, I sure it will be loved and treasured there is nothing in this world like being given something that has been done for you by a friend or member of the family. Enjoy your gift and giving your gift.
Blossom
Blossom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening. Those pictures are gorgeous, you are very talented.

I have to ask; what did the happy farmer wear underneath the kilt?!! Sorry, too personal.

I'm going...

Elizabethd said...

I can just imagine it. How lovely.
Your watercolours are super and bring back the time I visited Jura.

muddyboots said...

what a great evening! hmm men in kilts eh?

Suffolkmum said...

Lovely paintings Posie, wish I could do anything half as good. I particularly love the top one and the one on the left. Definitely a lovely present, to be treasured I would think. What a fabulous evening it sounds, you seem to have a high old social life up there!

toady said...

I too love the one at the top. Sounds like a great evening out. Toady

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I like the blue one at the top best, but they are all extremely good!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Your blog sounded as though it was full of happy joyful chatter . . .

Pondside said...

Great blog to read!! What did you wear to the festivities?

Poetess said...

Hello

I loved the atmospheric blue wash painting. As an amateur watercolourist, I thought they all looked great but the top one was my favourite. I think anyone who is given a home made gift appreciate the time and love we put into them.

Loved your blog will call back soon.

Poetessxxxx