Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Posie's Blog. Tales of island life on a hebridean hill farm

Tuesday 5 June 2007

Animal Farm





The pet lambs want to go to school, or so it seemed this morning when they climbed up the steps of the school bus and tried to get on along with our eldest daughter. She was highly entertained as she battled to push them back off the bus while the driver quickly closed the doors behind her. The happy farmer has now confined them to barracks, placing them in a bit of hedge that has deer fencing along it. He is feeding them cake as well as their bottled milk, which they get, when we can persuade the children to feed them, no pet lambs next year then!

I spent last night hoeing the weeds out from between the vegetable plants as the midges descended. I tried to remind myself how I ever thought gardening was fun, sweating, aching and scratching away with the heat and the midges. The happy farmer keeps trying to persuade me that we should get one of those midgie machines; I am not convinced they would work though, and keep arguing that for the number of evenings we actually get midges and then when we actually get the time to sit outside it is hardly worth it. I am not convinced they really work either, but if any of you know different please let me know, my vegetable patch doesn’t need midges….or slugs. Is there a machine out there that would eat midges, slugs and work the garden for me at the same time? The happy farmer maybe, or maybe not.

The happy farmer’s sister was over for the weekend’s celebrations. She flew home yesterday, however before she left she decided she should go and visit Hansel her niece’s horse, as she hadn’t seen him yet. She arrived back in the farmhouse kitchen covered in mud, having gone to see the horse, the horse had galloped towards her, she had taken a step back, fell onto her bottom and rolled right down the hill. Unfortunately I missed it, but the happy farmer saw it all, he hasn’t stopped laughing since.

Until next time….

12 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Those little lambs are gorgeous! Can imagine them trying to get on the bus!

Good to have you back Posie

Warm wishes
xx

Maggie Christie said...

I love the idea for a machine to do away with midges, slugs and weeds all at once - just flick a switch. We have midges in Pembrokeshire too - but not quite so ferocious as the Scottish ones. Actually, as midges find me so delicious, I could clear your garden of them by just visiting for 5 seconds. On the other hand, maybe not....!

Inthemud said...

Ah! What gorgeous lambs, Lucy's love them to come to her school.

bodran... said...

I'm sure she enjoyed her trip! groannnn..lovely photosxxoo

Suffolkmum said...

Oh cute lambs! And poor sister in law! I can smugly say we have very few midges here, but I've heard about the Scottish ones and can imagine what a pain they must be.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Bretons say lemon balm adn geraniums keep midges away mind you I still get eaten alive. Our Doctor in Australai said drinkmore beer as smellof yeast and vitamin B detracts them.. All I know is I get eaten alive then end up smelling like a chip shop as lashings of vinegar is the only thingI know for stopping itches!

Frances said...

Those lambs are so sweet, in the photo. About how old are they now?

Your blog about the party was grand. Your celebration must have been so much fun.

xo

Pondside said...

Hello Posie. I've just been by to catch up on your blogs. What a grand party you had!! It sounds like you had it all, girl!! Music, great food, dear friends and family and big rock on your finger! Seriously, I really enjoyed reading about the festivities, about the "Mary had a little lamb" lambs and your sister-in-law rolling down the hill in the mud!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

dont have midges (although many a scottish walk has been full of them) but would love a machine to get rid of slugs and snails which are eating their way through my beans and leading to endless disputes with ian as to why i wont use slug pellets!

muddyboots said...

we're lucky here, all the flies & midges get blown out into the North Sea.

@themill said...

My sisters best mate is something to do with Mull Little Theatre and they bought a Midge Magnet and it has saved their outdoor, summer performances. Haven't seen it working myself but my sister says it is amazingly effective.

Cait O'Connor said...

How lovely to have you back. It's too late now but I will catch up with your island blogs tomorrow.
Caitx